The church of Agios Nikolaos, which was built around 1320, during the Venetian Period, was originally a part of the monastery of the Dominican Order. It is quite special as it is equipped with a tower as well as a minaret.
During the Venetian period it constituted the most important church in the city. After the predominance of the Turks in Chania the temple was turned into a mosque and was named Hiougkar Tzamisi (mosque of the Emperor), in honor of the sultan of the Ottoman Empire. Its importance is highlighted by the existence of two balconies instead of one on the minaret.
In 1928, after being seized by the Christians orthodox, the mosque was once again turned into a church, dedicated to Agios Nikolaos.
Municipal Unit: Chania (Splantzia Square)
Working hours: Every day
Entrance: Free (with appropriate clothes)